Mastopexy: the operation
The mastopexy operation includes more steps which the surgeon will follow:
- Before the operation, the aesthetician will draw the patient with a marker. This is very important for the operation;
- Anesthesia is usually general – the patient doesn’t feel or remember anything;
- The doctor will make the incisions, being guided by the pre-operatory drawing. After he will remove the skin excess he will place the nipple in the upper part;
- Then it follows the remodeling of the gland. In some cases, this is modelled on the inside, afterwards anchored with wires on the thoracic wall, so it will not sag again, in time. With this procedure, the surgeon will fill in the superior pole of the breast. This step is very important, because remodeling the gland is the one that allows obtaining firmer, lifted and fuller breasts. During the operation, the breasts can also be equalized, with obtaining equal nipples, if it’s the case. In this phase of the operation the implant is also introduced, if it’s the case;
- Afterwards the suture is made, which is usually being made with resorbable fine wires (some doctors use common suture wires), which do not need a further removal. The wires are being introduced under the skin, so the scars will be as unnoticeable as possible.
Mastopexy is a surgical intervention and, like as any other surgical intervention which is made with general anesthesia, it needs a certain recovery period. This involves:
- In the first 2 weeks from the surgical intervention, the patient can experience discomfort, which not necessarily involves pain
- Bruises last for approximately 10-14 days from the interventions
- Patient must not sleep on her abdomen
- Must avoid bathing in bathtub
- You can have showers, but 3-4 days after intervention
- Wires, if not resorbable, must removed after 10-14 days
- Patient must wear a bralette for minimum one month, day and night. Some doctors recommend two months
- The patient mustn’t wear wired bra in first 3 months after intervention
- Retaking daily activities is made step by step, 7 days from mastopexy
- Smoking must be avoided for at least few weeks from the surgical intervention. On the contrary, blood will not be oxygenated at a maximum level, and the healing process will be slowed
- Edema can remain for a month or even more. Only after this period, the final case can be evaluated
- A light numbness of the nipple can be felt, which should disappear in 6 weeks after intervention. Only in rare cases the numbness is permanent
- Patient can experience tingling sensations or small burns of the breast. These normal phenomena are provoked by nerve regeneration
- Patient must not lift weights above head in first 3-4weeks from operation and have to, generally, avoid lifting bigger weights for 4-6weeks from surgical intervention
- In the first 2-3months, scars will be red, endured and visible. After this period their color will fade, becoming white and soft. These will never disappear, but their aspect can be improved with the help of certain creams or silicone sheets. Likewise, doctors recommend patients to avoid sunlight exposure in the first 9 months from mastopexy
- An itching sensation is felt around the incisions. This can be treated with different creams or with medication, on surgeon’s recommendation
How many visits to the doctor do I have to make after the operation?
First visit to the surgeon has to be at 2 days after the intervention. During this first visit, the doctor will remove the drain tubes, if it necessary. You have to come back to the clinic that you picked and in 7-10days after the surgical intervention, when the doctor will remove the suture wires if it is necessary. During these post-operatory visits, the doctor will also explain what you can do further on or he will solve the problems that might appear. The next consults are after 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and one year after intervention.
Mastopexy: Main benefits
Amongst the benefits of mastopexy, we enlist:
- Breast lift – by removing excess skin and giving the breasts their volume back, phenomenon caused by weight fluctuations, pregnancy, breast feeding and aging
- Breast ‘rejuvenations’ – breasts naturally drop by aging, the process being intensified by weight loss, breast feeding or birth. Mastopexy solves all these problems
- More various possibilities in choosing clothes – lack of self confidence caused by the aspect of the breasts determines many women to give up on wearing certain outfits that could disadvantage them. After such operation, many women are confident in wearing the clothes they’ve been avoiding in that moment
- Self respect can increase after such intervention – a lot of women state that after a mastopexy, the frustrations related to the way they look disappeared, and their life enormously changed for the better
Mastopexy and pregnancy
Doctor’s recommendation is that the mastopexy intervention to be made only if the patient is not planning on having a pregnancy, at least in the following future. This is because the effect of the operation will fade along with the new pregnancy and the new breast feeding period.
Most women chose this type of surgical intervention after a pregnancy affected their physical aspect.
If the patient plans on having children, the mastopexy won’t lead to losing the ability of breast feeding. Still, there is the risk of losing this ability if a mastopexy is associated with the implant breast augmentation. It is recommended to discuss with your doctor about this risk, if you want this certain operation.